June 16, 2009

Life is Full of Decisions

WARNING- THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY LONG POST! SORRY!

So lately it feels like my whole life has been up in the air. Do we sell the house or do we keep it? Do we move to another area or do we stay local? Can we afford more kids? Yes, life is full of life changing decisions but how do we decide if the decision we are making is right for wrong?

I guess I should get to the point of all my rantings so here is the deal. Chase has been at the coal mine for about 7 months. For most of that 7 months I had convinced myself that he loved it there and was much happier than he had been. Now that I look back, I can see that I was just mearly convincing myself of that. Chase has a very strong personality as most of you know. He has a very hard shell and doesn't really talk about feeling, fears, dreams, etc. So I didn't really think much of the fact that he does NOT talk about work. Shortly after he started at the mine he was underground during an earthquake. I didn't hear about it for weeks after when he was telling his sister about it. Then in mid April he was driving a truck underground when something came off the ceiling of the tunnel and did some major damage to the truck he was in. Very shortly after that he started having these mysterous stomach pains that would come and go. One night he called me from the mine and asked me to come get him and drive him to the ER. Chase DOES NOT go to the dr so I knew something was seriously wrong. The dr looked at him and did some blood work. There were a few abormalities on his tests, but nothing that would explain the pain. I spent days online searching for something to explain the pains. I went to Chase's sister's one day and was talking to her about it and she asked me if he would tell me if he hated the mine. I was a little surprised, but then everything started to make sense to me.....the mysterious pains were only right before, during, and after work. All the things I read online made sense. He had anxiety from work. It is a little weird that I didn't realize it before because at my last job, I would have little anxiety attacks. My stomach would hurt so bad when I would come home that I was living on 2 hours of sleep a night. I know how awful that feeling is and I don't think anyone should work in a place they hate that much. I asked Chase if he hated the mine and he bluntly told me he HATES it, but there is nothing else here for him and he has a family to support so it didn't matter that he hated it. I told him there was no need to stay if he hates it. We will adjust.

Chase has been looking for a job. When I got home for lunch he said he got on hauling coal for Robinson's and is putting in his two weeks at the coal mine today. Chase's dad basically told him that he was stupid and wasn't thinking of his family, blah, blah, blah. So, back to the first of the post. Changing jobs is a huge decision so how do you know if you are doing the right thing? He thought he was doing the right thing when he went to the mine and it turned out not to be (or at least isn't anymore) so how do I assure him that he is making the right decision for our family when I don't know myself??

Gosh dang it, why does life have to be so dang hard!! LOL

9 comments:

Cindy said...

I soooo...! know what you are talking about. When Matt first got on with the Government we were all excited because we thought it would just be better for us. Well that job was a mistake. Finally after 3 years of him being gone for 20 days out of a month we got this job here at the Flamming Gorge Dam. I was so nervous to move away from friends, family, and all that I knew. But you know what it was the best thing that we could have done for our family. All I can say is you live and learn and try to change what is not working for your family. W-mail me if you need to talk robison.cm@gmail.com

Cindy said...

I ment e-mail I have no idea what w-mail is LOL!

Clarissa and John said...

I would pray about it. I know how much that helps us when we have big decisions to make. The Lord will help you know if what you're doing is right or not. Sometimes He makes things so uncomfortable for us because we need a change, but we're not really to take that leap of faith. Looks like you guys are already doing the right thing by finding something new! Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers! =)

katie said...

I'm sorry you guys are having so much stress about this stuff:( But here is my opinion..You don't KNOW whether anything is going to be better or worse, you just have to weigh the pro's and con's and make a decision(quit stressing about it). Everything will work out, it ALWAYS does. Good luck lady! Oh and for what it's worth..I think it would be best for all of us if you guys just moved up here;) LOVE YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Changing jobs is really scary. Kelvin hated his last job, too, and has the same anxiety pains. Unfortunately, the change hasn't stopped his anxiety and pain. But, if Chase wants to haul coal and it's enough to make ends meet, great, you'll be close to family. If there's something he'd rather do, now might be the time to go for it. It will be lots easier before Hagen is old enough to start school. There are great people all over, and you guys are so cute you'll have no trouble making new friends. It's scary, but could be so worth it. Good luck!
Valerie

Lisa said...

Change is always a scary thing but you will know it is right if you feel peace about your choice. I know this is not about a job but when Adam and I bought our house we had been looking for a long time and even had to give in on things that we wanted but could not have with relation to the kind of house we wanted. When we found our house there were problems that made us come very close to turning away but everything somehow fell into place. It was a confirmation that we were doing the right thing. Even now things keep on falling into place. I feel that Heavenly Father directs us on important decisions if we allow him to. Those confirmations, to me, are him approving of what we are deciding to do. I hope I make since. Good luck with your tough choices.

Betlsclan said...

Well not being to bias....I will tell you that Robinsons is the best company to work for. Your brother has been with Robinsons for 16 years and let me tell you how much I love them!! Yea sure every business has there problems but When times are tough Robinsons is always there! Look what they did for us when we had Koalton! Things will work out! Chase just has to make sure to keep a positive attitude!!!!

Heidi said...

Nancy life if full of stress and hard decisions and I wish we always knew what choices to make. But there is nothing worse than working at a job you hate. I think he is making the right decision by leaving. The stress alone will wear on everyone. Things will work out somehow they always do, and you will have a much happier husband!

Amie said...

Nancy,
If Chase is getting physically ill at the mine, I think it obvious that he can't stay there. The coal haul is a good way to go. Its still decent money and probably similar hours. However, if Chase has a career in mind, maybe now is the time to go for it. And stop stressing out. You aren't doing yourself any favors by worrying. Things will work out.